April 3, 2014
Leadership Lynchburg, the region’s long-standing and nationally award winning community-based leadership training program, announced today an expanded set of programs that will extend its reach to a much broader group of people.
Leadership Lynchburg now offers programming to nearly all age levels, starting with middle school students and reaching people at nearly every stage of their career. It also will continue its traditional immersion class (The Flagship Program) that has graduated more than 1,500 students since its start in 1977.
“A year ago, we decided to pause and do an in-depth study of the community’s needs,” said Christine Kennedy, Interim President of the Lynchburg Regional Chamber of Commerce and operator of Leadership Lynchburg program since 2000. “We suspended our flagship program for one year and approached dozens of organizations to find out what was most needed for their leadership and workforce training.
“We were gratified to discover there was still a strong demand for our flagship program,” Kennedy continued. “But we were asked to develop courses in two other critical areas – short seminars that could be presented in a day or less, and an advanced program for experienced executives who wanted additional leadership training.”
The result is a new Leadership Lynchburg that offers programming in five areas:
- The Executive Forum, a new program, will provide the highest level of leadership training and progressive practices of effective leadership to seasoned leaders, whether they are graduates of our flagship program, c-suite executives or business owners. Composed of members from a variety of community sectors, forum participants engage in challenging discussion groups, peer coaching and thought provoking sessions fostering continued leadership development. The first Executive Forum is scheduled to launch in the fall of 2015.
- One-Days, another new program, will bring the Leadership Lynchburg experience into Central Virginia organizations. These seminars will tackle leadership subjects such as managing conflict and asking difficult questions in one-day seminars at the workplace. These programs will begin immediately.
- Program officials also announced the creation of a new community award called the Collaborative Leader Award which recognizes significant and notable contributions for the betterment of our region through collaboration.
Leadership Lynchburg also has enhanced its three existing programs:
- The Flagship Program, a nine-month class that immerses aspiring and emerging leaders in practical ways to apply community leadership. The program, a model for many other cities’ leadership organizations, connects students with key organizations in Central Virginia. Students team up to complete projects that benefit the community.
- The Young Entrepreneurs Academy, a year-long program that transforms middle and high school students into confident entrepreneurs. Local entrepreneurs share their real-life experiences with students and guide them through the launching of genuine student-run businesses by the end of their school year.
- Alumni programming now offers year-round events to allow Leadership Lynchburg graduates to network, learn from local and national leadership experts and engage in community projects.
ABOUT LEADERSHIP LYNCHBURG
Leadership Lynchburg held its first program in 1977. Today, Leadership Lynchburg has expanded significantly, offering the most comprehensive leadership programming available in our region. Our range of programs is designed to meet the needs of people at every stage of life and career.
ABOUT THE LYNCHBURG REGIONAL CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
The Lynchburg Regional Chamber, a five-star accredited Chamber by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is the region’s largest business association whose mission is to provide programs and services that strengthen member businesses and stimulate regional prosperity. For nearly 850 businesses, professionals and organizations in the Lynchburg Region, our goal is to continue to broaden our range of benefits to meet the changing and expanding needs of the business community we serve.